Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Installing a network printer (HP Deskjet 3050)

First thing i needed on my Fedora system was that i could print trough my wireless network at home.
Because the CD i had from the printer was only with drivers for Windows and i had no idea how to install it on Linux i asked my good friend Mr. Google.
Google sometimes lets me down on my search and doesn't give me the answers i am looking for but not this time, this time i found it right away.

Google send me to this website: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html
When i followed all the steps the printer worked like a charm.
Even better, in Windows i always needed to go to the printer's webpage to scan a page wireless, now thanks to this i have an application that does the scanning.
I use a HP Deskjet 3050 but this description works for most HP printers, wired or trough WiFi.


I also asked the question about how to do this on http://forums.fedoraforum.org/
Right after that i found the solution myself.
But one of the members there said the following after i posted the solution:
it's not even necessary (in most cases) to use hplip's version. The hplip program is in the repos, and can be installed with yum install hplip
The one caveat is that it doesn't install libsane-hpaio as a dependency (unless that's been fixed--it's a known bug and the maintainer is working on it), so, if you have a printer scanner, you should also install libsane-hpaio (with, probably obviously, yum install libsane-hpaio)
Thank you smr54 for this input about doing it another way.

As you can see, the choice about how to install your HP printer in Fedora 15 is yours.

1 comment: